Thursday, April 28, 2016

Her Story! #StartAsking

April 2012 changed my life! One day at work, my breathing started changing. Everyone told me I should go to the hospital because it seemed like I had Asthma. Considering the symptoms my doctor recommended I go get tested for MS, Arthritis, COPD…you name it I was tested for it and after a year of this one doctor said FIBROMYALGIA!

May 2013, I noticed my stomach started becoming rounder. I started to have abdominal pains. Going to my doctor, she found I had fibroids. As long as they weren’t bothering me, I shouldn’t bother them. WRONG!!! I became a regular at my doctor. I was there at least 3 times a week due to pain. I was rushed to the hospital several times and even taking myself because I needed help. Each time they would pump me full of pain medication with no real reason of why I was in soo much pain. After 8 months of crying, pain and feeling like I was being tortured I decided to open my mouth and speak to a peer about my issues. She suggested her doctor, Dr. Thaddeus Chapman of Emory Midtown. Promise Land Women’s Center is where my true journey began.

God put me in a position to where I was placed in the hands of a doctor who is God fearing and is a true believer! This was the best thing to EVER happen to me. Dr. Chapman took his time, listened to me and NEVER let me make a decision under distress. He and his staff became a support system for me and my family. June 16, 2014 he performed my first laparoscopic surgery. In one of my recent test it was discovered that one of my Fallopian tubes were damaged and that was causing the pain. However, once he was inside there was more damage than we ever imagined. BOTH Fallopian tubes were beyond compare, my abdomen was stuck to my uterus due to a severe case to endometriosis (a painful, chronic disease that occurs when tissue which lines the uterus is found outside the uterus), I had several large cyst on my ovaries and my fibroids were bigger than we could imagine. After waking up from recovery, I thought everything was great. After looking at everyone’s face, I knew there was some concern. Dr. Chapman broke the news about my tubes being damaged and the sighting of Endo. The recovery process was only 2 weeks. My stomach was sore from being ripped apart from my uterus.

Going home after the hospital I was very sad. The only thing I heard my doctor say was, “You will not be able to conceive.” I immediately went into the Why Me mode. Hearing the news became a very devastating part of my life. After all, what woman wants that right taken away from her? In this journey I found the true meaning of faith! I began to pray and have conversation with God. I asked to guidance and strength. HE gave me just that. He showed me that even if you never carry a baby you will always be a caregiver and a mother. Having full confidence I scheduled my surgery with my doctor.

On January 14, 2015 at 4:00 a.m. I sat on the edge of my bed and prayed for covering. Not for me during surgery but for my family who was petrified of me having this surgery. That day in the hospital I found a NEW ME! Before Dr. Chapman took me back to the operating room, his team gathered around my family and me and went immediately into prayer and worship. I had never seen anything like it before. I was amazed at how God knew what was needed and provided just that. I gave my parents a kiss and told them to dry their eyes that God has the battle. 4 hours later both Fallopian tubes had been removed, all of the scar tissue gone, all 16 of the fibroids removed and the cysts from my left ovary. The easy part was over! It was time for recovery…physically and mentally. My one night stay in the hospital turned into a 6 night stay. Everything happened that you could imagine. My body was not receptive to food, juice, movement…NOTHING! God was not ready for me to leave…I was still being taught. God wanted me to learn patience and strength. I have to say, I learned so much more. I learned perseverance and turning things over to God.

After I recovered, I thought my journey was over. I was wrong! 6 months later the pain came back. I was crying more, frustration rose and most importantly the disappointment I felt. I had given up my right to bear children and was still having the same issue. In efforts to not have another surgery, I was placed on a treatment that will send me directly into menopause. Can you imagine hot flashes at the age of 28?? 5 months into this treatment, I have gained lots of things that make you want to cry. I have gained weight, the medication has made my skin burn leaving scars in places you wouldn’t imagine and my hair has come out. All in all this is the best time of my life. God has a way of capturing your attention. You may not like it, it may be painful but I believe that God has given me a chance to find my true purpose in life. I believe he wants me to spread awareness in my community. Many women and even men suffer from reproductive challenges.


I don’t believe in calling anything a disease…I cannot give it power but I will acknowledge it. 1 in 8 women will have infertility troubles. Are you in the know? I encourage all of my beautiful sisters to get checked each year. Don’t let your symptoms go unchecked. 


8 comments:

  1. Powerfu! Thank you Candice and Jason for sharing your story. Thank you for blessing us with your testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God you have chosen to share your life with the world. While I do not presume to know anything about what you feel or what you have been through, or are going through. I do remember that being a scary time not knowing what was ailing you. I pray your story encourages others who may be going through the same issues and inspires women to "Get in the Know".

    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God you have chosen to share your life with the world. While I do not presume to know anything about what you feel or what you have been through, or are going through. I do remember that being a scary time not knowing what was ailing you. I pray your story encourages others who may be going through the same issues and inspires women to "Get in the Know".

    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a beautiful testimony and I am so very glad that you have chosen to share God's will for your life so that others may see His glory through you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful testimony! And yes, it's a testimony! God bought you through this! He gave you your crown and you are standing to tell the story! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so grateful you shared your heart-felt testimony that I myself can attest to but, THANK GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am honored to know you and call you friend! God bless you and keep you covered!

    ReplyDelete