Instead of Suspending My Student, I Decided to Change His Life
Instead of suspending my student for stealing snacks from his teacher and peers, I decided to teach him a value lesson that would change his life. Teaching him why he shouldn't steal is the right thing anyone should do. However, as a Black male educator I was able to teach him how to survive which will help him make a different decision next time.
Black boys rank highest amongst any subgroup for homeless youth in America. Homeless impacts their attendance, attitude and academic performance. This could contribute to the disproportionate rates of Black boys in the school to prison pipeline.
I believe that homelessness for some of the population of Black boys has to deal with mental health issues. Another part those Black boys kicked out or who ran away from home because of sexual identity issues.
The NY Times reports that homeless children are three times as likely to be suspended. Homelessness impact the attitude of Black boys in and out of school.
Homelessness doesn't just mean that you're living on the streets or under a bridge. There are a lot of Black boys who are sleeping in their grandparents basement, aunts sofa or friend's living room.
School is often times the only safe haven that Black boys have.
This can also be torturing to struggling kids. Service learning projects in schools helps to bridge the gap. It also gives Black boys an opportunity to lead.
I showed my student ways that he could survive without having to steal or result to a negative behavior. I gave him some options in which he could make money. This include yard keep, washing cars, selling waters, working funerals or even seeing if there's some work at the church doing odd jobs.
I believe that the presence of Black males in classrooms and schools make a huge difference in the way that Black boys learn. That's why I advocate for more Black male educators.
Black boys rank highest amongst any subgroup for homeless youth in America. Homeless impacts their attendance, attitude and academic performance. This could contribute to the disproportionate rates of Black boys in the school to prison pipeline.
I believe that homelessness for some of the population of Black boys has to deal with mental health issues. Another part those Black boys kicked out or who ran away from home because of sexual identity issues.
The NY Times reports that homeless children are three times as likely to be suspended. Homelessness impact the attitude of Black boys in and out of school.
Homelessness doesn't just mean that you're living on the streets or under a bridge. There are a lot of Black boys who are sleeping in their grandparents basement, aunts sofa or friend's living room.
School is often times the only safe haven that Black boys have.
This can also be torturing to struggling kids. Service learning projects in schools helps to bridge the gap. It also gives Black boys an opportunity to lead.
I showed my student ways that he could survive without having to steal or result to a negative behavior. I gave him some options in which he could make money. This include yard keep, washing cars, selling waters, working funerals or even seeing if there's some work at the church doing odd jobs.
I believe that the presence of Black males in classrooms and schools make a huge difference in the way that Black boys learn. That's why I advocate for more Black male educators.

Comments
Post a Comment