Extra Curricular Activities Can Help Lead Black Boys to Success

I spent my first two years working in our inner city school district as an After School Program Director and Teacher Assistant. I enjoyed working in this area because this work allowed me to see how engaging students impacts their willingness and excitement about learning. 

Legislators will be looking at bills that can negatively impact Black boys. Any bill that supports monies being taken away from after school programs, enrichment or literacy initiatives are detrimental to the academic success of Black boys in public schools.

Extra curricular activities helped keep me from falling into the traps many Black boys become statistics too. I remember the experiences I had in Boy Scouts, at the recreation centers in Atlanta playing sports, leading peers in the SGA, debating on the Debate Team, news team, yearbook staff, etc. Often times, enrichment classes are the reason Black boys make it through school. These activities can also help prepare them for trades. 

Eric Stirgus wrote an article focusing on the effects on extra curricular programs on student performance. As a product of Atlanta Public Schools and former teacher, I know first hand the importance of extracurricular activities and programs and how they help Black boys find success.

"When I was a teenager, I began to settle into school because I discovered the extra curricular activities that interested me; theater and music." - Morgan Freeman 

Extra curricular activities did more than just gave me something to do, it helped me find my pathway to success. The impact of after school and enrichment programs to the dynamics taking place within the classroom. It's vitally important for policy makers to see and understand how outside dynamics impact and influence education inside the classroom and beyond for Black boys. There's power in developing a well rounded Black male student in public schools. I believe having Black male teachers in classrooms in boardrooms helps. 

After school and enrichment programs support Black boys in and out of the classroom! 

After school and enrichment programs have provided a wide range of benefits to Black boys, communities, and schools that I’ve served. The impact is immeasurable. Whether it be boosting academic performance, reducing risky behaviors, promoting physical health, or simply providing a safe, structured environment for the children of working parents, we all reap the benefits of any system designed to enhance the general welfare all stakeholders.

3 ways extracurricular programs can help empower Black boys: 
#1 - Reinforces civic and social skills 
#2 - Provides college and career exposure 
#3 - Creates a safe and innovative learning environment 

My experience with extra curricular activities helped mold me into a better student and professional. It reinforced what I learned at home, in church and within the classroom at school. We don't often hear the term "well rounded" now, but I'm thankful for teachers, educational leaders and advocates that support parents and families in developing well rounded youth. 

Extra curricular activities empowered me to be an educator and advocate that I am today! I believe we have to connect the dots of every area of success within our society to education in order for our Black boys to find their success pathway.

Comments

Popular Posts