12 Years a Slave to Public Education
Over twelve years ago, I began my journey as an Educator.
Sitting at the University of West Georgia, Professor Said Sewell asked us during a political science lecture, "how many of you have had a Black male teacher from Pre K until now?"
There were over one hundred of us in the lecture hall and less than ten people stood. I was one of the ten. I could recall Mr. Gordon from elementary school, Mr. Davis my counselor in middle school, a few administrators who lead discipline, P.E., Band, Business Tech, etc in high school. However, it resonated with me in that moment, why aren't there more Black male educators?
I come from a family of educators. Education was always an important factor in my life right next to family, financial freedom and faith. However, life had to teach me that my experience isn't the experience of everyone. Therefore, I decided that I would become a part of the solution and not silently remain a part of the issue.
After graduating college, it was clear from running the Carrollton Housing Authority summer program that the public school system was where I was headed to make change.
Sitting at the University of West Georgia, Professor Said Sewell asked us during a political science lecture, "how many of you have had a Black male teacher from Pre K until now?"
There were over one hundred of us in the lecture hall and less than ten people stood. I was one of the ten. I could recall Mr. Gordon from elementary school, Mr. Davis my counselor in middle school, a few administrators who lead discipline, P.E., Band, Business Tech, etc in high school. However, it resonated with me in that moment, why aren't there more Black male educators?
"Change begins within our minds first before it takes action!"
I was determined to ensure that male empowerment in education would be a focus on my journey. Having a Black male teacher to me wasn't uncommon.I come from a family of educators. Education was always an important factor in my life right next to family, financial freedom and faith. However, life had to teach me that my experience isn't the experience of everyone. Therefore, I decided that I would become a part of the solution and not silently remain a part of the issue.
After graduating college, it was clear from running the Carrollton Housing Authority summer program that the public school system was where I was headed to make change.

Comments
Post a Comment