Kwanzaa Is A Bridge Over Troubled Waters for Blacks in America

Growing up, each year I learned as the importance of Kwanzaa in school which was also
supported by the community. When I was in elementary school, Kwanzaa was a primary
reason why I fell in Love with community engagement.


However, over the last two decades our engagement as Black Americans has decreased
while the numbers of Black boys in the school to prison pipeline has increased. I noticed in
my students that they didn't have the same passion about our community. 


I also noticed that many of our community public schools and Black teachers don't present
the principles of Kwanzaa or teach our Black students the origin of this very important
holiday. I believe this has an impact on the achievement of Black boys in public schools. 

Kwanzaa Is A Bridge Over Troubled Waters for Blacks in America!



Kwanzaa has always been a valuable resource for the Black community.
Much like Juneteenth, the holiday and key principles that empower the Black
community have decrease in participation from Black Americans.


The principles of Kwanzaa have helped Black boys in public schools find success.
In fact, the principles can be found in the social, emotional learning curriculum that
many public school districts use. 


Engaging Black Boys in the Principles of Kwanzaa.


There are seven (7) principles of Kwanzaa. I have always utilized these in my
teaching practices. This is the secret to how I’ve been able to maintain an
engaging classroom. Black boys respond well to classroom environments centered on
these principles. 


  1. Umoja: Unity. To strive for and maintain unity in the family, community and race
  2. Kujichagulia: Self-Determination
  3. Ujima: Collective Work and Responsibility
  4. Ujamaa: Cooperative Economics
  5. Nia: Purpose
  6. Kuumba: Creativity
  7. Imani: Faith


7 Pillars Career Academy in Forest Park, Georgia pillars are based on the principles of
Kwanzaa. We've done several community service learning projects based on our pillars.
Our Head of Schools believes in putting the vision into action.
Serving as the Special Education teacher for our school I’ve seen improvements in
within the academic performance of our Black boys. 


The implementation of our pillars into the curriculum and program of 7 Pillars has
allowed us to fill academic gaps within our students and most important heal some of
the things they've experience in and out of schools. 


Kwanzaa has direct benefits in our children, especially Black boys who for many
decades has been under attack in America. Teaching the principles of Kwanzaa gives
our Black boys the skills they need to succeed in school and society. 


Check out the principles of Kwanzaa and reclaim the tradition!

Comments

Popular Posts