Black and Brown Children in Georgia Charter Schools Need Our Letters of Advocacy

In Georgia, there are charter schools across the state serving hundreds of Black and brown families. They are free, public schools that are partners of public school districts, not adversaries as some who oppose school choice state. More importantly, these schools are filled with teachers who have graduated from HBCU's, taught in traditional public schools and who are doing their part 

I am asking for your support in the Georgia Charter School Association campaign to ensure that charter school facilities grants are included in upcoming budgets. Please see my letter below and adopt your letter here

This letter went directly to my elected officials through the link provided by GCSA. Join the movement today to ensure that our Black and brown children, educators and leaders are safe in our schools. 

I am writing to ask you to ensure a proportional reduction to the charter schools facilities grant program is included in the FY21 budget. Any cuts to this program should mirror the 11% reduction Governor Kemp asked of all state agencies. Right now it faces a reduction almost double that amount, 21%.

As a Georgia resident and educator of 16 years, I understand how tough your job is right now but I also know the impact education has on economics. Creating a balanced budget during the national pandemic. However, the current proposal has this important grant facing a disproportionate funding cut in FY21.

Charter schools must allocate significant portions of our annual operating budgets to cover facility costs. The facilities grant is vital because it allows schools who own or lease their facility the opportunity to redirect some of those dollars back to the classroom where they are need most.

I am asking that you make reductions to this grant in line with all other budget reductions, 11%.

Comments

Popular Posts